Thursday, May 8, 2014

Writing Great Captions

This week I used Nearpod to share an activity with students on how to write a good caption for a photo. We looked at some National Geographic photos and read the captions and talked about what made them interesting and what we learned from the picture.

Then I shared photos from the National Geographic Photo of the Day and asked the students to write their own captions. They did a great job and some of the students took creative license with the titles, which is just what I was hoping they would do.

Try it yourself- go the Rice Terrace Picture -- China Photo -- National Geographic Photo of the Day and look at this exquisite photo. How would you title this picture? What does the caption teach us? What are you still wondering?

I think I would call it Field of Dreams. I learned that this rice growing area has been farmed for generations. I wonder if it is all done by hand still or if there are any mechanical tools used.




No comments:

Post a Comment